View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 08:42 PM

Default Hanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
An eBay auction recently closed offering an early 1960s complete set of American League mini-pennants. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MINT-1....m43663.l10137

Perhaps one of you won it?

I'm curious about the manufacturer, as I see these minis individually all the time. The same company also sold a similar set featuring National League teams.

I will post a photo from this listing and a separate one featuring the original card headers. Does anyone recognize the manufacturer? There appears to be a name or logo in the upper left corner of the card header, above the word "Colorful" but neither I nor the seller could make it out.
Rob: I believe these were the first Hanco pennants we identified as being made for a professional sports team. They made an AL and NL set of minis around 1962. The other pennants we found of theirs were all souvenir ones.

Your New York Football Giants pennant is the first football pennant of theirs I've seen.

It's always possible they had been making sports pennants prior to the 1960s--but, not labeling them with a mark??

Suffice it to say I have not found much info on HANCO. They were located in New York according to their mark. That's where my last research trail ran dry.

Today I found a Hanco Art & Novelty, Inc. in the New York state corporate directory. They first incorporated in 1980; but, that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't exist before then, as many businesses don't immediately choose to incorporate. It was dissolved in 1991. This has to be them.

No plans to write a piece on them at Pennant Fever, as of yet; but, I'd consider it if I learned that they had made more sports pennants during their existence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALminipennant set.jpg (21.3 KB, 286 views)