Old 12-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post

I don't know that much about the T215-1 cards but I do know they
are scarce enough that it's hard to compare them with any
regular T206 printing.
Pat
Check out the Standard Catalogue, all 96 cards in the T215 set are listed. My research iidicates that possibly two 48-card print runs were done. The 1st series in 1910 and the 2nd series of 48 cards in 1911 > 1912.
The Matty (white cap) was most likely included in the 1st series (with 350-only cards). It's interesting to see how up-to-date these cards are regarding trades. For example....Huggins (hands at mouth) is Cincinnati.
And, Huggins (portrait) is St. Louis.

Quote:
Do you know for a fact that there were different
series together on the same sheet? As far as I know a single
Mathewson (White Cap) is the only confirmed 150/350 subject how do
we know that there wasn't a sheet of 150/350's printed and they are
scarce enough that no others have surfaced.
All 96 subjects in the T215-1 and T215-2 set are accounted for. Also, there are 2 cards of Byrne (Pittsburg and St Louis). Furthermore, a complete "PIRATE" set was discovered some years ago [97 cards (with Byrne's variations)].
The "PIRATE" set mirrors the T215 set.

Quote:
Do you believe that the Forrest Green Sovereign was printed before the
Apple Green and if you do why was Doyle printed with Apple green if he was
printed early in the 350 printing?
Absolutely, the "forest green" SOVEREIGN 350 backs were printed before the "apple green" SOVEREIGN 350 backs.

And, as I've stated before, ALC selected 66 subjects to be extended into the 350/460 series. Three of these 66 guys were not printed with 460-type backs since their careers ended in the Major Leagues (Joe Doyle, Simon Nicholls,
Bob Rhoades). Why ALC printed the backs of these 66 subjects with a lighter ciolored Green ink is not really known.
My guess is that ALC simply wanted to distinguish them from the sheets with the regular 350-only cards.

Footnote.... Joe Doyle was a promising pitcher when he joined the Highlanders. And, ALC (being based in New York City) naturally favored the New York BB teams. And, I think ALC wanted to print more cards of him.

TED Z

T206 Reference