View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Joe Doyle N.Y. NAT'L and it's 11 "cousins"......PART 2

The Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'l card was printed ONLY with the PIEDMONT 350 back. American Lithographic (ALC) caught their mistake very quickly on the Joe Doyle card's
caption (Doyle was a pitcher for the NY Highlanders), and removed the "Nat'L" lettering. The initial press runs on the T206 backs usually being PIEDMONT 350.
Notwithstanding ALC's quick caption correction.....several Joe Doyle error cards were shipped to Factory #25 in Virginia. How many were inserted into PIEDMONT packs
we will never know. To date, exactly 9 of these Joe Doyle error cards have been confirmed **.
Furthermore, my research has revealed that 2 (perhaps a 3rd) of the 9 known Doyle N. Y. Nat'L cards have been discovered in original collections which have emanated
from the greater Atlanta area.

The Georgia connection with the Joe Doyle error card and the Elite 11 cards may be just a coincidence. Or, may be real as my original theory proposes here in Post #1.

POP Report data (for whatever it's worth, as I'm sure there are some crossed-over cards in these tallies). Note the close comparison to the known Doyle error cards.

Elite 11 ..............SGC + PSA......Ungraded (mine)

Dahlen (Boston)........... 4 ................. 2

Ewing......................... 9 ................. 2

Ganley....................... 15 ................ 1

Tom Jones.................. 11 ................ 1

Karger........................ 11 ................ 1

Lindaman.................... 9 .................. 1

Lundgren (Cubs)......... 13 .................. 2

Mullin.......................... 1 .................. 4

Schaefer (Detroit)......... 7 .................. 1

Al Shaw...................... 10 ................. 1

Spencer....................... 4 .................. 0

** Note....a number of "fake" Doyle error cards have surfaced since the late 1980's. Some of these were even graded. The most notorious one with a POLAR BEAR back.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 12-23-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Correct typo.