View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
You guys are too nice, thanks for the kudos!

Having put together 520 T206 in 2007 & 516 T206 ten years later this year, I definitely go through long periods of T206 exhaustion. But, what happens is usually I go on a dalliance with a different set -- like 33 Goudey -- or period -- like 1950s Topps and Bowman, until the T206s start to call my name again. It's pretty weird, but I just try to follow my gut. Because if you're collecting cards because you "have to" or just to tic a box on a checklist, then you've lost the plot. Not to be overly philosophical about it -- I obsess over baseball cards, sorry -- but the collecting journey comes from within us. I only get close to satisfied when I listen to that voice inside me, not the voice of the half empty box of cards telling me I have work to do.
Absolutely no apology necessary. I also get really philosophical when it comes to baseball cards and their history. They aren't just cardboard to me either, they are history and art among other things. For example, one set I have come to be drawn to is the 1910 Obak set. My maternal grandmother was born that year. It fascinates me to have a ball card that old. I think about all of the card's owners, where it has traveled over the years, etc. Living in Arkansas, I sometimes wonder if the Obaks that I buy from sellers on the west coast have ever traveled this far east in their 107 years of existence? With these cards, I find myself actually going back and looking at them even after I have had them for a while. That hasn't always been the case. I have been a checklist guy, but I will not again for these and the reasons you laid out.

You have a great collection. I want to work on T205s, Obaks, etc. the way you have on T206.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 05-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.