View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Default World Series Ticket questions...

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well what happened "last night" is an aberration...

What St. Louis did was announce, when WS Game 4 was cancelled, that those Game 4 tickets would be honored for the game that was being rescheduled to Friday October 27th. And then they added that Game 5 tickets would be honored Thursday October 26th.

I think that decision was somewhat screwed up, but I undrstand the the 50k folks there Tuesday night were already out of a ballgame, and rescheduling them all to Friday night when hotel reservations should have been less full was the best they could do. Had the Cardinals have won games 1 2 & 3 then that decision would have been horrible, a game 4 ticketholder should be guaranteed a game, and if the Cards had won 1 2 & 3 and then Thursday night, then the ticketholders would have been screwed big time. The way they did it they reinconvenienced the 50k fans that were rained out, and left Thursday's 50k fans as they were.

Things become more of a mess if tonight's (Friday night's) game is rained out...

As it was, fans with Game 5 Tickets saw game 4, and now fans with Game 4 Tickets will see game 5.

As for those old tickets, the tickets were numbered cardinally (sorry, couldn't resist that) based on the venue. A seven game series would use tickets marked "Game 1" "Game 2", then the teams would travel, then "Game 1" "Game 2" and "Game 3" at that venue, then teams travel again, then "Game 3" and a final "Game 4" being the 7th game of the series and the 4th game played at that city.

I don't know when they stopped doing that. I think it was the early 1920s. My recollection is that the 1919 WS tickets are numbered in order in relation to the venue. I'm certain that 1926 WS tickets are numbered based on the game, 1 - 7. So it must have happened between there. Someone on this board will know.

Frank.