View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Moisture: the safe deposit box's worst enemy.

In the next three months, I'm going to be adding some pretty valuable cards to my collection. And those will be going into my safe deposit box. These cards are a mixture of graded-SGC, Beckett and PSA, as well as unslabbed. These I keep in Card Savers.

My question comes after reading Ian's (itjclarke) horror story where he found liquid inside his safe deposit box, apparently from a desiccant pack gone wrong.

I'll have to double check the size, but my safe deposit box (I think) is 6" x 10" x 19". That provides me plenty of room.

I should be able to put my cards inside of something like a Tupperware container. There are also other storage bins like Tupperware with air tight gaskets. When I was a workout nut before hurting my back, I would put my raw spinach and my vegetables in them, and it was amazing how much longer the produce stayed fresh.

Have any of you guys used these kinds of containers in your safe deposit box? I know I could use the gel packs that absorb moisture, but if I have air tight containers, shouldn't that completely block the moisture from getting in?

My bank is only a couple of miles from my house, so it's no hassle to drive back and forth every couple of months to switch out desiccant packs, if that's the best option to protect cards from moisture. But if something were to happen where I couldn't get around for a few months, like if I fell again, I might not be able to make it back for a while. I trust my family, but I'd feel better if I were the only one handling rare and valuable cards.

I live outside of Dallas, Texas. While it's not like living in New Orleans, it's not the desert, either. It can get humid, at times, and I don't want to take any chances.

Thank you! I look forward to everybody's input.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.