View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Alan Elefson

I have built the majority of my collection at those venues. A few weeks ago I found three 1945 California Winter League scorecards with Jackie Robinson in the lineup. I paid 25.00 each and I sold them for 400 each. My best 19th century bat (circa 1865, 41.5 inches long) was also found at an antique store, as well as my best glove, best baseball tintype, and much more.

If you just look for cards it is difficult to make great finds. There are a lot more potential finds in the memorabilia side of the hobby. In the past year, I have found tintypes (including an amazing one with an umpire, a fielder, and a guy sliding into a base), 19th century and early 20th century scorecards (two weeks ago I found a 1916 Brooklyn Robins scorecard from the last game of the season), a baseball CDV, rare gloves, a melon football, a lemon peel baseball, and an early figure eight style baseball among many other things.

To me it is more exciting to find things at these venues as opposed to clicking on a website. I do make mistakes at times but I think my good finds far outweigh the mistakes I make. Overall I am astounded at how much there is available still at flea markets, antique shows, and antique shops. Granted, I do live in one of the best areas of the country for antique shopping. Sometimes I think there can't possibly be any more good items out there and that my luck will run out soon. Until then, I will keep going.
Alan

Alan