View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 12:49 AM

Default Mathewson

This pitcher is right handed – that eliminates Rube Marquard

The scoreboard indicates it is at the start of the game, so this would be a “Starting Pitcher.” There appears to be no score, so this must be the “top” of the inning – Giant pitcher on the mound

Four teams came to town in the month of August 1913 – St. Louis Cardinals, Pittsburg Pirates, Chicago Cubs, and Cincinnati Reds.

Based on the size of the crowd (small), I doubt the opponents were the Pirates or the Cubs, who both had winning records – as did the Giants. That leaves the Cardinals and the Reds.

With the exception of Rube Marquard, all of the Giants pitchers that pitched in these two series were right handed.

The size of the crowd likely indicates the game is not on a weekend. The Cardinals played a double header on Thursday and one on Friday. The Reds played on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday – both teams had a losing record.

Jeff Tesreau (right handed), pitched the second game of a double header on Thursday 14 Aug 1913 – the pitcher looks like him, but a double header would have probably drawn a larger crowd.

The Giants starting pitchers against the Reds (3 game series) were Doc Crandal (right handed), Mathewson (right handed), and Art Fromme (right handed)

Fromme pitched against Mordecai Brown – probably would have been a big crowd

Mathewson would have probably had a big crowd

Doc Crandal pitched against Red Ames – Monday, 25 Aug 1913. My educated guess is that this is Doc Crandal on the mound. I certainly could be wrong, but I believe it looks like him also.