View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Actually, that would be blaming the victim. And here we go, around and around, with the same arguments I've heard on this board since 2006: 1) Charlie Manson never killed anyone in my family so he's okay in my book. 2) Auction houses are expected to commit fraud and if you choose to do business with a house you deem crooked then you are to blame. As Mastro's indictment does not include any bidders, just auction house executives, it would seem that the bad guys are alleged to be just the perpetrators of the fraud and not the victims.
Jeff, I understand not doing business with auction houses that you think are crooked. But would you deal with someone who you knew bought from crooked auction houses? For instance, if I bought a rare Ty Cobb item that you wanted, from an auction house that you thought was crooked, and put it up for sale at a reasonable price, would you consider buying it? What if I sold it to one of your friends and he put it up for sale?

There was at least one person on the board who said they wouldn't sit down at a dinner table if someone who represented a 'crooked' auction house was there, so I was just wondering how far this goes.