View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Rich Klein

I have written about this in the past but at one Albany show with Mickey Mantle, I actually asked the promoter to put me as near the auto line as possible.

Why? Well I was basically setting up at the show for Baseball hobby news and did not bring many cards with me so the purpose was to talk to collectors and schmooze them while they were waiting in line.

A couple of dealers got all upset at the auto line (and I suspect at me for where I was -- although I had no real cards at that show) and demanded Ed Keetz move the auto line away from the show floor as that was interfering with dealer sales.

You know. those smug dealers did even less business the rest of the weekend (as did I) and why? Well instead of using being near the auto line an opportunity to talk to people, instead they wanted to deal with the few "real collectors' who attended.

Yes I know this was 30 years ago but the lesson remains the same. If people are coming for a reason. find a way to talk to them instead of limiting your audience to a few people.

regards
Rich