Thread: Mantle Reality
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Like Dustin, I was turned on to Mantle when I was a young collector mainly due to the prices he commanded. It was a dream of a 10 year old to one day have a real Mantle card. I've since acquired several but I'll always remember getting that first one. A 1966 Topps. I couldn't believe it when I got it in hand. I was thrilled to have one. I was shocked that I pulled the trigger on it since at the time my card budget was even smaller than it is now. I'll always have that Mantle.

AndyH
I have nearly the exact same feelings about the Mick. I feel like most collectors have a "first Mantle" story. Its a right of passage, like a first kiss, in our hobby.

I was born well after his career but when I started collecting vintage as a kid in 1989, he was all anyone would talk about. It was also my dream to one day have one. My first was a 58 Topps beater when I was 11ish years old. I was blown away when I actually held the card in my hand the first time. He had always seemed out of reach.

I have since acquired, kept, and sold many Mantles. But...I still have that 58 and it stands with other 'better' cards in my permanent collection.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle.../my-collection