View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default Non Baseball Memorabilia

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I was curious to learn what this board thinks about the relative availability and desirability of other sports' memorabilia versus baseball memorabilia. Specifically, I very rarely see early basketball memorabilia proffered in the major auctions (e.g early basketballs, game worn, early college uniforms, etc.). My guess is that this is due to the relative lack of name recognition concerning PreWWII basketball stars vis a vis Baseball (obviously) and even Football and Hockey. Are there just not that many collectors of Pre WWII (or better yet, Pre WWI) basketball items?
Full discosure, I am a avid flea market patron who generally flips items by wholesaling to dealers. Also, I have a pair of early basketball shorts that I got for a song that I am trying to resell (off board, this is not a BST post), but I am having difficulty finding the right collector(s). I mention both of these points so folks undersatand where I am coming from.
Please post your thoughts on this topic and please feel free to broaden the debate to include other sports as well (I saw a really nice old volleyball at an antique shop for sale but had to pass because I am unsure how old it is and its rsale value if any). I hope this post is not too confusing to follow (it took me several tries to articulate my desired questions).
Alan Elefson