View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I didn't realize you could penalize a guy because a batter didn't hit a ball to him. Great next gen stats.
That is the whole point of playing shortstop. When the ball isn't hit directly to you, you have the ability to go get the ball and make a play. Ozzie Smith fielded balls that other shortstops, including Vizquel couldn't get to.

If Vizquel was some great shortstop, you would think he would lead the league in assists once, just from some random variance. Derek Jeter was a statue and he led once and finished second once. Your idea that balls were never hit close to Vizquel is absurd. I took an 8 year sample because there is going to be some variance, but when Vizquel is never close to Smith, even one single season, it just confirms what I saw. Smith had great range, Vizquel had average range.

You keep bringing up Gold Gloves. Gold Gloves are a popularity contest, voted on by managers. How else do you explain Derek Jeter winning 5? He is universally regarded as a bad defensive shortstop.