View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 09:25 PM
Val Kehl

Following Jeff's fantastic JoeJax card, this H-to-H card of Pat Moran is not likely to excite anyone! I like it for my type card because it's back is nearly-paper-loss-free.

Following an undistinguished career as a catcher, Moran managed the Phila. Phillies to the NL Pennant in 1915, his rookie year as manager; The Phillies were beaten by Babe Ruth's team in the 1915 WS.

In 1916, Moran managed the Phillies to a better W-L record than 1915, but the Robins won 3 more games than the Phillies.

In 1919, Moran managed the Cincinnati Reds to the NL Pennant and to a WS victory over the Black Sox.

The first paragraph of SABR's bio of Moran reads as follows:
"Back in an era when a manager’s responsibilities often included both the duties of a modern skipper plus those of today’s general manager, Pat Moran excelled at each role. In a span of six years Moran took over two mediocre franchises with little history of winning, rebuilt and reassembled their players, and managed each to a pennant. Unfortunately, his place in the pantheon of great managers never solidified due to his unexpected and premature death at age 48." Here's the link to this bio, for anyone caring to read more: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/pat-moran/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 Holmes to Homes - Moran - front.jpg (70.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 Holmes to Homes - Moran - back.jpg (73.0 KB, 143 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.