View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Jonathan Sterling

1951 Yankees opening day program that came with a laminated page from the sporting news about Allie Reynolds 2nd no hitter from that year. Seller listed it as a program from the no hit game when in fact it was Mantles first game. In Memorabilia section I posted a thread where I go over documenting the hows and whys I came to learn it was 100% an opening day program. Said I would post some pics when it arrived then proceeded to sweat for 3 weeks as it disappeared in the postal system. There have been 3 or 4 sales of 1951 opening day programs in the past 5 years or so, but turns out only one of them was actually a real opening day program ( the one that sold for big money). In fact there is an ebay seller with a fake program listed. I say fake because it is partially scored as an opening day program when it like a couple others that sold they are not. So the program is intentionally altered to make it seem like something it is not that is why I use term fake. 99.9% of time clubs print one program and one scoring page for a particular series vs a visiting club. But in this case a player named Gene Markham who was sent back down to the minors opening day because Phil Rizzuto came back early from an injury caused the Yankees to print a second scoring page for the second game of the series to correct for his departure. Creating a unique program for Mantle first appearance and first hit. Now I believe there are 3 known copies.