View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
A 52 Mick in SGC 5 for 18k or best offer is obviously a scam. 5s in this market will command 20-30k if not more with eye appeal.
I don't think the 18K price is too far off (if it was a great deal, someone would have already hit the BIN). SGC 60s don't command the same premium as PSA 5s. In researching past prices on this card, it just doesn't seem like SGC gets as much respect in the postwar market as PSA (prewar being a different story). Centering and surface flaws seem to play a huge role in variations of pricing within a specific grade.

If this SGC 60 Mantle were a legit card in a good slab, the scuff on the surface and the l/r centering make this a sub-18K card, imo (my offer to this seller was under 16.5K, and he accepted it claiming it was the highest offer he received).

I do agree, though, that altogether it was too good to be true.

As Chris mentioned, the card in the SGC 60 auction is the exact same PSA 4 sold by Heritage a few years back. I actually thought the card was simply crossed over to a higher grade SGC slab, but after seeing comments in this thread I'm thinking it might be a photoshop job.

One other thing that looked very strange in the Mantle images is the frosting on the edges doesn't match when comparing front and back scans. Notice on the comparison of the Cobb slab how the frosting on the back mirrors what is on the front (the Cobb is in a known legit holder)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg com.jpg (73.3 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by CW; 03-06-2014 at 05:41 PM.