View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 11:35 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sBaseball View Post
This issue hits home to those of us who are older (I am 72, closer to 73) or who have had or who have health issues. I had a stent put in 4 years ago, and since then have looked at many things differently, not the least of which is my sports card collecting.
I do not wish to burden my family with disposing of my modest collection (mostly 50s baseball), and have thought, as Ted (gawaintheknight) has of what I may do or my family may do. I am friendly with some dealers in the Albany NY area, and have already talked with one about buying some of my collection.
Unfortunately, this has also impacted my collecting. For example, does it make sense to buy a $100 card now only to have to sell it for $30-40 in the future?
This is a real issue for some of us.
Reading thru all the responses this question stood out most to me. As long as your family is financially set if something happens to you, I don't think it matters. As long as we are buying cards for the enjoyment of it, it shouldn't matter if a card goes up in value or down in value as the true value is the enjoyment we get out of it.

It's interesting to see this post and how many of us are thinking the same way. After a 6-7 year hiatus, I just got back in last year and have basically started over from scratch. While I don't plan to kick the bucket tomorrow(I'm 49), we never really know and as my collection has grown over the last year, I have been contemplating these same issues. My wife and daughters don't really care about the cards. Some interest in a card from time to time and I know they are all tired of hearing me ramble on about 62 Jell-O. Only my youngest, who is 16 has actually wanted to listen for more than 5 minutes. But, I recognize that I need to create spreadsheets of what I have with approximate values and keep them updated from time to time. My wife knows where I keep the "good stuff" and I have told her were to take that in the event of my demise. I think we probably all have tons of random stuff that may or may not have a ton of value that would be more difficult to get rid of. That's where I have to start "cleaning up". I would rather have one or two graded cards I enjoy than a 3200 count box of random stuff that is worth $1k for example. So even if I think I'm not going to get full value for the "junk" stuff, I might as well take what I can get for it now, put it in something that consumes less space and have something I like and is easier to sell later, if need be. (Sorry, think that last bit was just me talking to/convincing myself).
Anyhow, good post and great seeing every ones responses!