View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
No idea on the newspapers, but have found newspapers from special events in general to not be very valuable. I just sold a stub to that same game the other week for $120, which is about going rate for them. The program will have some value but both it and the stub will be effected if they are stapled.
I guess I'm not completely familiar with what determines the value of sports memorabilia. I was under the impression objects such as balls, bats, tickets, etc were more valuable/desirable if they could be linked to a historical moment in professional baseball. This could be as simple as a historical moment in your life as it relates to baseball, like a favorite player when you were younger. But more so it relates to things such as a world series team, home run record, a no hitter, etc.

I will agree as a baseball fan the memories from those events are irreplaceable. But none of those events alone can compare to the historical impact/significance on the game of baseball that April 18, 1958 and the Dodgers as a team have made.

The Dodgers were the first team to employ and allow an African American to play. They were the first ones to be broadcast on TV. First to wear batting helmets. First West Coast baseball team. They're the only reason the San Fransisco Giants are in San Francisco and not Minnesota which is where they were headed. Yeah that's right Giant fans you can all thank O'Malley you're not speaking with a slight Canadian accent haha. Staying true to their pioneering ways they're also the first team to open an office in Asia! Oh and guess I can mention opening day April 18 was a new record for opening day attendance in the MLB. A record which held for 35 years.

Now from the searches I have done on the internet I have not come across a single Los Angeles Examiner from April 18/19 1958. Definitely have never heard of any one having the program/newspaper combo. In my opinion owning a true piece of MLB history like the local newspaper and scorecard from opening day of the new Los Angeles Dodgers is priceless. These are getting framed a hung soon as possible. I'm just surprised the dollar value is no where close/comparable to the historical value.