View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Throughout the 80s and early 90s I'd take the train down from Boston for the Friday preview, using your fine SEPTA commuter rail to get from 30th Street Station to Willow Grove, then hiking a mile or so to reach the George Washington Lodge. After filling my acquisitions box with goodies, I'd retrace my route, riding the Night Owl back to Boston for an early morning arrival and a nap before I had to be at work Saturday afternoon. Made the trek a couple of times to Fort Washington, but the last time returned with only one card, so abandoned the ritual. I met a lot of hobby legends there, including Tom Reid, who was quite a character as I'm sure you remember. We'd talk union politics as much as cards.
B.ob Ri.ch.ardson

Hi Bob

Great story......especially your trip from Boston > Philadelphia > Willow Grove or Ft. Washington Shows.
I did the reverse to get to Boston and New Hampshire Shows from my NJ (or Philly) homes.

Indeed, Tom Reid was quite a character. Back in the 1980's (when I lived in Toms River, NJ), Tom would
occasionally be down visiting relatives. Tom would drop by my home and go thru my "esoteric" stuff (he
had all the regular issue sportscards and non-sports cards in the hobby)

I miss Tom very much. He had more BB card and BB card dealer story's than most anyone in this hobby.
And, he was very shrewd in our "cash/trade" deals. I never got the better of him on any of them.

TED Z

T206 Reference