Thread: Prewar Baseball
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would post links if I had more time. Just check REA, Lelands, Legendary, Heritage, Hunts, etc. Their archives will show dozens of Lemon Peel examples that have sold over the past decade.

Most of the ebay examples purported to be old will have stitching that is newly applied, or is done in a more modern style. Or the coloring will be off, or the stitching will be too fine and/or will "sit atop" the leather with little signs of proper wear or settling in.

The stitching on this example looks correct in every way and is the thicker, more coarse style. Plus, you can see how it has settled in/embedded into the leather with the proper "puckering" at the seams and elongation of the holes.

Just my opinion after observing/buying/selling these items for 20+ years. I know that almost anything can be faked. Also know that skepticism tends to prevale in this forum. But in this case, I see none of the typical or tell-tale signs that would indicate this piece is bogus. If you contact any of the leading auctions to consign this piece (with the photos provided), I bet there isn't a one that would reject it.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-24-2014 at 12:43 PM.