View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Default Memory Lane Inc. will be on the HBO show Entourage on July 22

Posted By: leon

You always seem to hear what you want to hear and not understand anything that is being said. Actually I don't dislike you and I did say I took back calling you a moron...but you don't want to hear that.....Something tells me you won't hear this either. I apologize for calling you a moron.

As for being in a unique position to do good for the hobby I believe I do. This is the most frequented vintage card chat board on the web by far. There must be some reason it's gotten 3x as big since I took it over. The other 2 previous moderators did a good job and I have continued their tradition. Have you ever noticed how many positive threads I start on here? Have you ever noticed how many my naysayers start? Have you ever cared to look at the front of a Krause SCD (Baseball big book) for acknowledgments, or at the Beckett Almanac for acknowledgments? Check them and see how many of my naysayers are in there. How many articles have you written for the hobby publications or other websites? How many times have you offered to help someone financially with a hobby related issue that you weren't involved with otherwise? How many dinners of 50 or more collectors have you organized? No, I guess I don't do any good for the hobby.

Why is it you and a few others always twist words to make them fit your battle cries? I don't vehemently defend taking out creases. I am against it. One large auction house said they would possibly remove a light wrinkle, erase a mark or take off dirt/residue that wasn't supposed to be on a card to start with. I have also stated that I, like most hobby veterans (though I am not really a "veteran"), don't have a problem with removing a mark or removing gunk from a card. From that we get everything under the sun that will fit "the battle cry". I have stated publicly, more than once, that I have changed my position on wrinkle removal and will not endorse taking out any wrinkles (or creases, which I never supported nor did the auction house say they ever took out) as it's too slippery of a slope. At the same time I still don't care if I buy a card that had something done to it that SGC or myself can't see. I am not anti-grading. Not sure how many times I have to say that to get it through to you? Grading is good, Jim. Knowing how to detect issues and grade cards yourself is good too. Most of my collection that is relatively valuable (monetarily) has been graded by SGC and I SENT THEM TO THEM TO BE GRADED MYSELF!! I sent them more for the authentication but the grades come with that and I am happy. As far as my not letting others speak their mind that is a total fallacy. Only you, and 2 others I know of, feel that way....I am aware of about 2-3 others that have that thought too though I have never censored or deleted anything they have said. The other 1000-1100 or so folks are somehow able to speak their mind.... My biggest issue running this board is that I probably let things go too far before I step in. That's the way I am though and I prefer to let folks speak their mind. Even this newer board member (Scott F) wasn't afraid to speak his mind against what I had said and did you see me censoring anything he said? If anyone doesn't like the way this board is run then there are always other places to frequent and I would strongly encourage that. I want this to be a board that has the focus that is at the top of the first page. If anyone comes here for anything else then I am not interested. best regards