Thread: PSA vs GAI
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default PSA vs GAI

Posted By: spaceops03

From a sales standpoint - there is no question - a PSA graded card on average will more than likely bring a premium. Due to the large volume that PSA grades, there is however a broad fluctuation in the grades an individual may receive.

GAI - while very reputable is still in its fledgling stages and of the three major grading companies tends to bring the least - although with their 1/2 point grading system - some cards (ie a GAI 7.5) will bring more than - for example a PSA 7. Personally I agree with a previous poster that GAI's grades are 1/2 to 1 point inflated.

SGC graded cards - my personal favorite btw - have recently been catching up to PSA saleswise in the pre-war market. With many pre-war issues, SGC reigns supreme because of the expertise of their graders and because in many cases they have graded cards that the other companies have not. I have found that SGC graded cards past the 1920's do not bring near the $ that relative PSA cards do.

BVG - too small a market population to really consider although high end vintage cards graded by BVG do bring strong premiums.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. From a personal standpoint - if you are going to purchase your cards to keep (instead of for immediate resale) - go with SGC. If you want a quick turnaround - go with PSA.

BTW - this topic has really been driven into the ground.