View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Maybe just take a brief break, maybe a week or two, and use the time to figure out what you want the collecion to be and what you can actually afford it to be. Maybe that leads you to pick certain cards to go for, and to set aside the money for them, or maybe you decide to sell some. Or maybe you figure that maybe some cards that aren't so fantastic have something going for them too.

I've been an opportunistic sort of collector for a long time, and as a result the collection has some nice stuff, and some pointless stuff. When I started collecting racing bikes (Ok now! they're "game used" sports items, so it's ok)
I concentrated on one particular area. And since they're not often cheap, my wife and I usually discuss new additions to the collection. How cool is it really? How does it fit in with the others? How much do I think it will sell for and would I be happy paying that? I've been convinced to pass on some interesting ones, that were just a bit more than I'd pay based on my interest, and been surprised at getting the green light to bid big on a few others.
We only do this for big stuff, the little stuff is just fine to buy, but the same thought process has become a habit.

Steve B