View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Now I remember… yeah, the McGreevey stuff. But do we even know for sure it “hung for a long time”?
This item is indeed from McGreeveys, which closed in early 2020 due to Covid. The bar was opened in 2008, and was patterned after the '3rd Base Saloon', which opened around the turn of the century, and is considered by many to be the first 'sports' bar. It was started my a man named Michael (Nuf Ced) McGreevy, who was a huge Boston baseball fan. He had an extreme amount of pictures and memorabilia in his bar, especially for the time period. When prohibition hit, it put him out of business. Most of the pictures and documents were donated to the Boston Public Library, where they still reside today.

When McGreevys opened in 2008, it was patterned after the original 3rd Base Saloon, so the owners went to the library and asked for copies of some of the old pictures to hang in the bar. They also sought out some original items to be displayed in the bar. I won a few of those as well, and they are indeed original.

During the auction a few months ago, the auctioneer would state whether the item was authentic, or a reprint. For this particular pennant, he stated that they did not know if was authentic or not.

I bought it with the assumption that it was not real. However, after putting my hands on it for the first time, I am wondering if it may be authentic.

Everyone's help is much appreciated. I guess my next question would be, who could I take it to that could inspect the fabric/lettering/etc and tell what time period it is from?