View Single Post
Old 07-28-2018, 07:20 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Oh Michael - no new players - just hardcore old ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
Sorry I'm arriving to this late. I followed the high end stuff for this HA event fairly close myself. To flesh out your list:
-the '58 wht letter in 9 went for more than recent copies, including the same Slusser copy from two years ago
-ditto the '71 in 9, about 30% more than recently
-the more easily to achieve 9s came in right around their typical range it seemed to me
-the '72 and '73 10s came in more or less along the spectrum of the past couple years as well
-the '69 super 10 went for much more than 'recently', though this was the first recorded sale in 2 yrs
-to me the real surprise was the '57 T salesman panel, which went for much more than I would have guessed, in part since it has no registry value except bragging rights. True there are only 2 cited publicly, so the scarcity is interesting, but they're sort of ugly IMO, in that they're not 'real' issues, complicated by unrelated non-stars attached, back has nothing to do with the front, and I guess I'll stop there. That said, I bid on it myself, pretty hard, and was very much surprised to be pushed into giving up on it--I just really didn't expect that. And since you asked, my one thought/theory is that there could be a new player in town?
That was me you were fighting with for the 57 panel!! I too wondered who the heck was on the "other side!" As I have expressed before, my collection is a lot more focused on the scarcity of an item than exactly how it fits into the registry. The only other copy of this 57 panel I have seen was purchased at auction years ago by Brian S. and was sold with his collection in 2016. That panel went for almost 3k when Brian sold it. The one Heritage just had although only graded "authentic" by PSA was in FAR superior condition. As I have been there many times, sorry to put you on the losing end of this one - but rest assured - it is in good hands.
There is a board member here who is very knowledgeable about the salesman panels and said that they are selling for a lot less now than they used to - even the Clemente with what I bought it for.
To me these things are WAY undervalued and underappreciated - With rare exception there are only 2-3 known of any given panel - rarer than many test issues and just as cool (imo). I picked up the 59 Mantle panel from REA also. I have the 1962 Clemente as well. All the best!

Howard

Last edited by hcv123; 07-28-2018 at 09:18 PM.