View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I was born in 1983, and so I missed seeing all the hockey greats. For example, if you look at the top five, and these guys are Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lemieux and M. Richard, well, three of them were before my time. I also missed seeing Gretzky and Lemieux in their prime, so I'm not going to count them either. In the end, all I have left are the stories, sir. Stories, which get passed down to the younger generation by folks like you. Where would this hobby be without the amazing stories? Think about it. Would somebody spend thousands of US dollars on a high-end Orr rookie without hearing the stories first? Definitely not!

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your father. My father is such a huge part of my life and if he had passed away, like twenty years ago, oh man, my life would have turned out pretty crappy! I'm very sorry you had to suffer like that. But it is awesome that you have such great memories with him. Watching Hull battle it out with Orr during his rookie season? Wow, just wow. It can't get any better than that!

You are right regarding Topps Test issue. Not much is known about it. One guy, who has been in the hobby for decades and has written a few books, believes they were issued in 1967. If that is true, then ummm ... is that Topps Test Orr still a rookie then? More research is definitely needed.

Now since we are talking about Orr, let me say this: I did get a PM this morning and the gentleman told me that his second year card should have made the list. First I looked at the cost. I do own a dead-centered PSA 7 which I purchased many years ago for under $300. Today, I would say it's probably worth closer to a thousand, no? Also, 67-68 was the last season where there was only one set of hockey cards. After this, both Topps and O-Pee-Chee started printing their own sets and that ruined everything in my opinion! And finally, it's a beauful-looking card. I have decided to add it to the list.