Thread: Grading idiocy
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I don't think that grading is the problem. I think that collectors mindlessly buying flips over cards is the problem. We can blame SGC or PSA all we want, but guys will still pay 10x the amount for a subpar 5 than they would for a GORGEOUS 2. We base too much of our pricing on the grade of the card over the appearance of the card. I can't understand why (for example) a psa 4 Goudey Ruth is worth more than a much nicer 2. If population is about the same, what really makes the 4 more valuable? The Flip? It is not graders, but rather, it is our grade-worship that is to blame.
Here are 3 of my t206 cobbs. A 4.5, and two 3s. These cards are as nice as any 7 or 8 and at a small fraction of the price. These cards would be worth over 10x what they are worth if they were in the right flip (and they look the part). Then we wonder why people alter cards. Our grade-worship has made the flip more valuable than the card. Remember when we just liked buying great looking cards like these?
Those are great looking cards Orlando. You might want to have a Joe Orlando buddy turn it in for you to be graded. I'm sure these cards would qualify for the friends and family treatment.