View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 04:51 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default Fun with 87 Donruss...

I can remember how popular and expensive these cards were for a brief moment back in the late 80's...you had Bonds, Bo, Maddux, McGwire, Clark, Palmiero, Larkin, Sierra, ect...just tons of rookies. I haven't even looked at these black cards in years...

...until my local card shop picked up some unopened wax packs. I couldn't resist, and me and my 8 year old son bought two boxes and went diving. He LOVES Nolan Ryan and Ozzie Smith, and we pulled a couple of those. Cal Ripkens, Tom Seavers, Pete Rose...he was in heaven (he helps me put together my 50s-70s sets and loves the old stars). Out of the two boxes, I was amazed at my rookie and star pulls...I NEVER had this kind of luck back in the day when those cards mattered, lol. Here are some facts from my two wax boxes -

5 - Bo Jackson's
5 - Greg Maddux's
5 - Roger Clemens
4 - Jose' Conseco's
4 - Barry Larkins
4 - Rueben Sierra's
4 - Will Clarks
4 - Mark McGwires
3 - Barry Bonds
3 - Fred McGriffs

In 1989 this kind of pull would have been like hitting 21 at Black Jack. We then got bored and decided to coalate the cards and see how close to a full set we have...we ended up with 584/660 needing only 76 cards for a whole set. I was shocked...the shop has two more boxes, I may go down and buy the rest for the fun of it and see if we can't finish the set. At only $14 a box, that is cheap fun. It's funny to think of how much those wax boxes would have sold for in their prime, and I am sure I could probably buy all these cards for cheaper but putting together this set with my son and reliving a fun time in my life has been priceless.

I gotta admit...the Bo cards still look pretty cool. Trying to tell my son how cool Bo was for a moment there has been fun too...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03