View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default Separated at Birth? E90-1 Joe Jacksons

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Leon, I understand that the grading company found the recoloring. But another collector could have looked at it with good light, a loop, a shot of uv, and they'd have seen it too. Did you uv it before the grading? I'm not 100% anti-grading. As you're well aware I've had cards graded, you've helped me with that. The N172s before B&L existed were graded by SGC before they went into the auction. It is just when I saw frank spelled with a capital F in the 4th paragraph of that Put Simply post, I reflected for a while, then decided not to post in his thread and blah his bling, but at least to offer the alternative perspective in a more suitable thread, and this one Jeff started was a perfect one because of what's been done with that Jackson card.

For me, the Jackson card looks great! A very interesting player, great history, interesting set, everything I look for in a card. For me, I wish it was more worn and therefor more affordable. As it is, even if it is slightly smaller than some E90-1s (and it might have been bleached a tiny bit once) it is still too nice of an example for me to buy. Even though some kids years ago trimmed on their E90-1s so they'd be the same size as their white border tobacco cards. Even though kids in the 50s and 60s trimmed on them for the same reason. I'd think trimming went on even into the 70s on these, not to make the card appear a better grade, but just so they'd fit in with tobacco cards.

If I'd not seen that capital F I'd have let it slide...

frank.