View Single Post
Old 04-20-2023, 01:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default AH Marketing efforts

Was just wondering. . . . how much do you think AH marketing efforts really affect the final hammer price of a high end card at the end of the day? Let's say a $75,000 Mantle card. Does it really matter much what the AH says about it . . . where in the catalog it's listed. . . . how many times it's pimped in a mass mailing or e-mail . . . . does any of that really matter?

One one hand I think it must, but on the other hand if someone is going to pay $75,000 for a particular card, likely they are looking in all the same places we are looking and know what they want. Is a card really going to slip through he cracks because it's listed as item 200 in a catalog and not in the first few pages? Is one more email really going to push someone to bid? This is not like marketing paper towels or dish soap, where promotional activity serves the purpose of brand recognition, top of mind awareness, etc.

I get ticked when I consign a nice item and it gets "buried" in a catalog, but does it really matter where people pour over catalogs and websites for weeks?

Obviously there is a benefit to presenting an item for sale in a nice way. Can't deny that.

Curious on what others think.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-20-2023 at 01:29 PM.