View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Just How Good Do Us Vintage Fans Think Barry Bonds Is???

Posted By: fkw

Hi Brian, I threw a heavy fast ball with movement (2 seemer), a slider, a crappy (flat) curve, and a circle change (not so good either). I did great until I found that college players can hit 95 when they know its coming. I should have worked on the off speed stuff more in High School, but why throw something they can see, when they didnt touch the fastball. Oh well, I wish I had more of a chance, but injuries and bad timing ended my run soon after I was drafted. Had to get a job, pay rent, and life goes on. The thing that makes me feel a little better, is knowing that only about 5% of minor leagures ever make it to the big show, so my chances where low, even if I was a Lefty with control. The funny thing is Wetteland threw nothing but heat back then too (95++), but very wild. He has a 4 seem riser that actually took off last 10 feet. He did learn some good off speed stuff in college, and well had a fairly nice career. Best Hitters I faced were Matt Williams, Greg Jeffries, Ed Sprague Jr., Devon White (hella fast), Greg Vaughn, and Bonds. Williams, Jeffries, and Bonds were the best at High School level! One of my greater American Legion moments was sending a Game winning 440' aluminum bat 3 run HR over the light tower off Matty Williams in the light air of Carson City NV. He jacked one off me the same game. We all knew Matty was going places, as he was going to UNLV the following year (as a shortstop), and was Giants #1 a couple years later. Frank