View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Default Just How Good Do Us Vintage Fans Think Barry Bonds Is???

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hey Cy
Looks like I struck a nerve! If you write that well all the time you ought to write a book. I will admit that I am biased against today's players, they are bigger, stronger, and in better condition than there predecessors, but play on fields that are smaller. It's amazing how many Stadiums have moved there fences in over the last 25 years, and none have moved them back.
You mention the size of gloves in Cobb's era probably helped his hit totals, well certainly some of Barry's 350ft- 365ft Homeruns at Pac Bell and Candlestick would have been outs before the fences were moved in the early 90's from 397 in right center to 360ft. You also mention the winds at the stick, like Wrigley, sometimes they help and sometimes they hurt, but overall it's probably about even.
Cy, you also mention the weak pitching in the past, which with your name gives you a little credibility, but not totally. The stike zone over the last 10 years has become the wheel house, what happened to the letters to the knees? How would you like to take the mound with a juiced baseball, small strike zone, and short fences because that's what faces the pitchers of today.
Just for the record "I consider most of the Ballparks today to be little league parks"
I also beleive the Gold Glove has become more of a popularity contest than a true award, with a few exceptions such as Andruw Jones, many of the multiple winners are solid on the routine plays, but lack the range and the will to go after the tough catches.
When Barry retires he will have great stats, many awards and a Hall of fame plaque, but in 10 years will people still talk about Bonds as they do the other baseball imortals? I doubt it.
Thanks for a great thread, I've enjoyed the discussion, I only wish I wrote or pitched as well as CY. later brian