View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Default Just How Good Do Us Vintage Fans Think Barry Bonds Is???

Posted By: Cy

OK, let's get real with Barry Bonds. You can hate him for whatever reason you want. But if you are objective, then he ranks right up there with the greatest ball players of all-time.

Brian Weisner tried to point out why Bonds isn't a great player. He stated that Bonds "is an average fielder with limited range, (and) a pathetic arm." That limited range and pathetic arm earned him EIGHT golden glove awards.

Brian stated that "most of his "awesome" power wasn't displayed before he moved into the little league field along the bay." I don't know exactly when SF moved into their new stadium. I'm guessing 3-4 years ago. So subtract Bond's last three years worth of home runs and he still has 411 in Candlestick Park, battling those terrible winds. Personally, I'd be ashamed to admit to hitting only 411 home runs.

Bonds also has four MVP awards. And that does not include the two years he was robbed because the media didn't like him. In 1991, there was no way that Terry Pendleton was a better player than Bonds. Same thing in 2000 when the writers gave it to Jeff Kent. Both picks were absurd. So, in my mind, he should have had SIX MVP's. Mantle had three. Berra had three. Musial had three. If you don't agree with my assertion that he should have won six, he still has FOUR MVP's, and going strong.

Now let's get to last season. It was simply the best season ever. Period. End of discussion. Try to find a better year. I find that Total Baseball's Total Average to be a great indication of how good a season a player has (total bases divided by total outs produced). Bonds easily outdistanced every player ever in that category. He had 73 Home Runs in 476 At Bats with 177 walks! That is unreal. That is one home run per 6.5 at bats, one home run every 2.1 games, with at least one walk per game. He had a .515 on base average (Cobb's best was .486) with an .863 slugging average (best of all-time). In 1921 and 1927, Babe Ruth averaged a mere one home run every 9 at bats.

Brian also pointed out that Bonds doesn't dominate the game like some of the vintage collectors' heroes. If he doesn't dominate the game, why has he been intentionally walked with the bases loaded? If that isn't an indication that he is dominant, I don't know what is.

In a nutshell, Bonds is easily the best player since 1970. And any time that a player is considered this great over a thirty year period should easily be considered right up there with the best players of all time. I know I am making this claim but I am not alone in this thought.

I know it's easy to point out "facts" that make this era inferior to the golden age of baseball. But there are many "facts" that point to the golden age being overrated. For example, how many more hits would have George Brett had in his .390 season if the players of his time had to use gloves of the 1900's? Or better yet, how many less hits would have Cobb had if the players back then had the modern glove. I would also like to see the stats on the batting averages of the early ballplayers in the late innings. I bet they padded their stats late in the ball game when pitchers' arms were tired but weren't replaced by a relief pitcher. The pitching of today is always a question, too. But remember, prior to 1946 blacks weren't allowed to play. With the addition of minority players, I bet there the ratio of good to poor pitchers is about the same as it was whenever. There were a lot of poor pitchers per good pitchers in every era of baseball.

Putting this all together, there are "facts" about any era that will magnify the accolades and will diminish them. But if a player, like Bonds, rises above his peers of his era, then he deserves the recognition due to him. If you think he is arrogant, fine. Don't buy his autograph or his Fleer Rookie card. But give him his due. He is as good as it gets in baseball and realize that you are lucky enough to see him in his prime. Enjoy watching him. He is fun to watch. I enjoy watching him and I am still pissed off that he left my Pittsburgh Pirates years ago.

Whew, sorry guys. I just got on a roll. I didn't mean to write so much. But it was fun doing it..

Thanks for reading it.

Cy