View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Bill par.sons

Default 1966 Topps #591 Grant Jackson - why?

I had started a thread a week ago about the 64 Curt Flood and it stimulated some discussion on a 40-60% distribution split of the 1st series of 64 topps cards. Also the potential hoarding of that card and the '61 Brown card #242.
Now the ridiculous prices associated with the Grant Jackson combo rookie card '66.
I looked online today and saw many available, all 3 digits. I have a Beckett from 1993 that doesn't even list this card as an SP. I don't have any reason to support the heightened levels that prices of this card has gone except hoarding.
A good group of these are diamond cut, ok, that may support the increase in price. But it really shouldn't be any more than legitimate SP's like Tigers Team, Clarke, O. Brown RC, Perry, McLain to name a few.
Even card #544 Cards Team is getting up there.
That is what makes this set so challenging, the supply/demand of these high numbers. To the member who is starting to put this together, I wish you luck on the #591 card as investors seem to have entered the market to drive prices up. Almost like the rookie card craze of the mid-80's.

Comments welcome, BillP