View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Let's get ready to rumble......

Lot's of opinions of who's who in the rock n' roll HOF. Since this is a baseball card board does anyone have an opinion on who is the Babe Ruth of the Rock n Roll Music HOF (RRHOF)? Are the Beatles the Babe Ruth of the RRHOF? Good argument for that - Ruth was an idol in the US as were the Beatles. Both blazed a trail, Ruth in baseball, Beatles in music.

Here's the list of the first inductees to the RRHOF:
  • Buddy Holly
  • Chuck Berry
  • Elvis Presley
  • Fats Domino
  • James Brown
  • Jerry Lee Lewis
  • Little Richard
  • Ray Charles
  • Sam Cooke
  • Everly Brothers

There's hardly any mention of these guys in this thread..... did the RRHOF get it wrong on the first inductees? The Beatles didn't even make it to the third year and Zep wasn't inducted until the doors had been opened for 10 years.
You did not also mention the inductees who went in back in 1986 under the "Early Influences" moniker. Jimmy Rodgers, Jim Yancey and Robert Johnson. I did make mention of Robert Johnson in reference to his not having really sold a lot of records or having a long and illustrious career. But the innovations he came up with and the trends he started by his at that time style and ability, and unquestionable. Not too mention the mythical status he holds as to the way he supposedly gained those abilities and the impact that legend has had on the music and performers over these many years, and still does. I was pointing this out earlier in reference to how being worth of rock hall status should not rest solely on record sales alone.

And of the rock hall inductees in that inaugural group, I know there are a multitude of people who crowned Presley the King, and would claim he is the Babe Ruth of Rock and Roll. But he was always more of a country crooner if you really listen to his music and style. If you want to look at it from a purist standpoint and literally think of the term Rock-n-Roll, the true Babe Ruth is Chuck Berry. His original performances and electric guitar playing and ability were the cornerstone for what we came to believe was the essence of a rock and roll band. The Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, Zeppelin, even KISS, and so many other rock groups and performers are more aligned with and developed along the lines of Chuck Berry and his musical style and talents than ever did from Elvis. Don't get me wrong, Elvis is great, but Chuck Berry is/was the standard for true, pure rock-n-roll.

And along those same lines, how the hell did they make Les Paul wait until 1988 to get in the rock hall, and even worse, 1992 for Leo Fender? Whenever you hear people discussing rock-n-roll, at the very mention of the electric guitar, which is to me the cornerstone of rock-n-roll music and the only true sound/instrument that defined it and set it apart from every previous music style and form, there are only two names that deserve to be on that Mount Rushmore - Gibson Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster. Period!!!!