View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Dave,
I would bet (probably like the Berra museum theft) that the thieves already had a buyer for these belts. They probably won't ever see the market place.

Yeah, that's entirely possible. I would hope there aren't collectors out there with deep pockets willing to hide stuff like this in their collection, knowing they would never be able to show it to the general public or put it in an open auction to re-sell ever again............but one look at the art world shows there's plenty of people out there like that, for whatever reason.

Anybody having anything to do with the boxing hobby will know these are stolen. That's the best we can do, I guess.

I also wonder if the crooks saw these and thought they were some sort of high end jewelry they could flip for the gem and gold content. While these can be elaborate and they can sell for quite a bit on the open market/auction, I don't think they were designed to have much break-up value at all. It would be a shame if they were destroyed just to scavenge the worthless baubles and the gold plating from them.