View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 01:01 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

The last time I tried to point out to someone at the Burdick collection that a valuable card (the Goudey Lajoie) was not being safe guarded well, here is what happened. The card was adhered to the album page by a single piece of adhesive tap. It was dangling in the page and if someone closed the book the wrong way, it would fold the card in half. Add to this that at that time (in the 80's or 90's) you would be sitting alone in a room with a single person at the front who often was focused on doing other things than watching you. It would have been no effort at all to the pull the tape out of the page with the card on it, put it in my pocket, and go on my way.

When I was ready to leave, I politely pointed out to the person that the card was extremely valuable (the condition looked amazing, as if Burdick had just pulled it out of the Goudey envelop, and I estimate the value at the time to be $5-$6K) and that perhaps the museum should make an effort to better protect and safeguard it. The person thanked me very much for my suggestion, and asked I put this information on a note and insert it the album page with the edge sticking out. That way someone would be certain to act on it.

We now flash forward around 6 months when a good friend of mine was reporting to me on his visit to the Burdick collection. When I asked how things went, he said fine, though one unusual thing caught his attention. In the album with the Goudeys in the page with the Lajoie (still dangling from that single strand of adhesive tape) was a handwritten note saying words to the effect "Lajoie card, $5,000 - $6,000 value, please safeguard." That was my original note. So clearly the museum did do something with my note -- they highlighted it so a thief would know which card to steal.

Need I say more why so many cards from the Collection were stolen.

Last edited by benjulmag; 06-09-2019 at 02:10 PM.