Thread: May Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I've been collecting McGwire homeruns the longest, maybe 15 years. Still need 26 more tickets. This type of collecting is not for people who like instant gratification. At first it seems like you will finish quickly because you are doing bulk deals for tickets. But after a while it turns to a trickle. Then nothing for a long time. You need to network with other ticket collectors, ask everyone about tickets, advertise, etc. Now when you find one ticket you need it is exciting!

I like taking on a big challenge. I know several collectors who have taken on bigger undertakings. Scott Garner who is on Net54 is collecting all Nolan Ryan game tickets. I also know of two guys collecting all Ripken streak games. Another collecting all Pete Rose hits. Another doing all Carlton Fisk games played. They are in it for the long haul.
Fortunately the ticket collector community is pretty friendly and networking with special collectors like Randall and Tony Swann (the Carlton Fisk collector that Randall referenced) is the only way that you will ever come close to completing crazy projects like these! Thanks Randall!
BTW, if you want to be mind blown, please check out Tony Swann's carltonfisk.com website. It's unreal!

I started out collecting tickets to Nolan Ryan pitched games in 1972 and thought it would be neat to find perhaps 100 of them.
Meanwhile, 44 years later I'm currently up to 753/807 of Nolan's regular season games plus his All Star appearances and post season games with the Mets.

Those of you that know me on net54 also know that I also collect the no-hitter theme, which was an offspring of Nolan Ryan becoming The No-Hit King with 7 career no-hitters. Currently I own tickets to 202 different official and unofficial no-hitters dating back to 1901. Chasing the current no-hitter game tickets is becoming a challenge because of the e-ticket fiasco that Randall described perfectly.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-07-2016 at 05:22 AM.