Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone. I'm glad y'all seem excited about this stuff!

The '27 team shot is for Phil Napolitano, a fellow board member. I'm super excited to be working on it for and with him, as he's definitely the biggest '27 team fan that I know of (and a damn good friend to boot). Anywho, he commissioned it a long time ago and now I'm FINALLY getting around to it. Needless to say, it's been quite the undertaking. He's always loved that particular photo, so he's definitely taken an interest into making the painting as wonderful as possible. Through the faces on the team compared to the active rosters throughout the year, we were able to narrow the date down to about a week - June 29 to July 8. At first, it was a little tough to believe, since it looks like everyone is wearing long sleeves, and in the case of Pennock, even a jacket. However, you can certainly have chillier days in that time-span (even if they are a little more on the rare side). What I'm probably gonna do is head to the ol' microfilm files and see what the weather was like in that time span - maybe I can narrow it down even further. Phil was also very helpful in tracking down a lot of Wingler questionnaires to help find the mundane details, like eye and hair color of many of these guys. Mundane for sure. But also AWESOME.

Mark V, if you want to come by here to see it before I get it to Phil, you're certainly more than welcome to.

The Hubbell is also one of my favorites. I'm just super happy to be able to do a painting of him, being one of my absolute favorite players. The client's father was a big Giants fan and used to tell him about Hubbell all of the time, so in a way, the painting is more of a tribute to his father than anything. Either way, I'm STOKED for him to see it in the end.

Mark S, I don't have any solid plans of bringing anything to Chicago, but there's always a chance that I can. If anything, it might be on the smaller end of the painting scale. It's probably going to be tough either way, since I'll be flying in.

Lance, I think in the case of Stengel, it was ALL Conlon. He just captured this absolutely perfect expression on the Ol' Perfessor's face. It's really fun knowing the image is from Opening Day at the Polo Grounds in '38, Casey's first managing stint with Boston. So, the expression to me is, "hey, why not?" Simply hilarious.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment, everyone - I really appreciate it.

Graig