View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Default Peck and Snyder CDV Advertisement

Posted By: Corey R.Shanus

which answers a few questions. For one, it explains the relative scarcity of the Atlantics, Athletics, Mutuals and White Stockings relative to the Red Stockings. Images of Red Stockings presumably would be in greatest demand, and P&S, selling the images as opposed to giving them away, would have economic incentive to have a greater supply of the team for which there was the most demand. Interesting that the Athletics are called the Blue Stockings; that explains the blue verso. Also, interesting that the ad refers to these images as Nines of 1870. That might explain why the 1868 Lowells are not mentioned. It appears that there is another Atlantics that has not yet been discovered. The one known, besides being identified on the mount as being the 1868 Nine, does NOT have players who were on the team in 1870 (e.g., Lipman Pike). I have never seen one of the larger-sized photos. What a discovery that would be! Does anybody remember the verso on the Red Stockings version that appears cdv size (not trade-card size). I have some vague recollection that the verso mentions the 10 cent price, though I'm really not sure. What this ad doesn't give us is the full checklist of team/player images. Since the 1868 Lowells is not mentioned, then presumably images available prior to 1870 (and no longer available) are not listed. All in all, a TERRIFIC find; thanks so much for sharing it!!