View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 09:46 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
Dave, thanks again for your valued input.

(Sorry I had cropped my Dubuque photo)

The baseball team Cabinet photograph is stamped "DUBUQUE"---"H.A. Jordan" "Artist"

#1) Fact: This establishes without question the location of the photo being Dubuque.

#2) H.A. Jordan -(Artist)-Dubuque Photographer (date range) Per research by the Center for Dubuque History. Loras College, Dubuque,Iowa

Quote: Director/Locas College, Dubuque Iowa: ---" Indeed the first listing of H.A. Jordan Photographer, appears for the first time in the 1881 Dubuque City Directory. We find his name in the city Directories up to and including 1890 when he disappears from the listings."
( Most business requires some start-up time, so its feasible the Jordan's Studio opened earlier?)

I also believe during 1882 Comiskey played baseball between both Dubuque & Chicago.

The uniform question: I can only point out it appears Mr. Jordan high-lighted a "Star" on Reis's baseball hat. This to me is significant.

I still believe to have a very good case!--Thanks again!
Finally!!
You answered a question Directly and to the point without any extra nonsense.
So now, I think we can feel pretty confident about the Dubuque location.

The next question is what proof do you have that the players are all on the same team. I count at least 6 different uniforms.
Uniform 1 - Front row left end.
Uniform 2 - Front row second from left. (Different shirt and belt style)
Uniform 3 - Back left and back 3rd from left. (Same star on chest)
Uniform 4 - Back 2nd from left (Different buttons and no star on uniform)
Uniform 5 - Front right end.
Uniform 6 - Front second from right (Notice belt is different from guy on end)
I can't make out the 2 players in the back row on the right well enough to say for sure if their uniforms match anyone else.

It seems to be highly unlikely that they would pose for a team photo in that many different uniforms, especially since the other composite shows that the team had really nice uniforms with name "Dubuque" displayed boldly across the chest plate. So why would they take a team photo with so many different uniforms? I don't believe they would. It follows that if they are not all on the same team, then it can't be a team photo of the Dubuque Rabbits. If it isn't the Rabbits then why would Comiskey be in this photo? Obviously, he would have no reason to.

Also, please stop identifying players by names they clearly aren't. In post 97 of this thread Mark showed pictures of the real Reis in comparison for the guy you're calling Reis. None of the facial features come anywhere close. The ears, nose, jaw line, lips, and overall head shape don't match even remotely.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL