View Single Post
Old 08-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default Elliot, I'm missing the point here

Posted By: runscott

First there was no censorship - meaning profanity and insults - now we have total censorship - not because of profanity, but because the moderator just doesn't necessarily care for the content.

I appreciate Elliot setting up this board and I still think it will be a great place for vintage card discussion, but I'm dismayed that I can't open my virtual mouth without a good chance that it will be censored. Yes, I joke around a lot. No, I am not a lurker - I also add what I know about vintage cards to this board. You can have both or neither.

Think about it - what if you and a bunch of other guys were sitting at a dinner table at the National, having a steak, and someone started talking about something that the table moderator thought was inappropriate? So he then has the capability to "mute you", or worse still, erase anything that you might have said that he disagreed with? Many of us DID have dinner and drinks together, and we DID talk vintage cards, and it WAS useful, but, YES, we talked about other things as well - without that, it would have turned out, like this board is turning out to be, a table I would have had no desire to sit at.

Sorry, but it doesn't work for me. We are a bunch of vintage card collectors talking pre-WWII cards, but we're not "Dungeon and Dragons" rejects that are so focused on this area that we don't have other lives. Part of what makes this board work is that we ARE NOT a bunch of nerds. I learned this at the National when I met a bunch of you - EVERY SINGLE board member I met was a normal person, socially acceptable, and FUN to hang with.

...and I think that's the way this board should be too. We talk cards and we occasionally deviate and show we're human and not single-tracked social oddballs.

Elliot, if this truly is OUR board, leave this thread alone and let us discuss it a bit. If the majority of members are in favor of a strict, no b.s. board that pertains only to vintage baseball cards, fine. We can censor any Geronimo, Brittany Spear or Mickey Mantle discussions that might come up. And we can delete any jokes, innuendos, etc., that do not meet your approval as "vintage card related". Say the word.