View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Todd Schultz

That's fine, preserve it as you see fit. However, I also see no problem with someone, if interested in high condition programs, being able to purchase them sight unseen in a slabbed state, assuming there are at least some universal standards applied. Just because an ebay seller tells me his program is nm, I shouldn't have to take his word for it, and while he may have several scans, it isn't always apparent if a page has a slight tear or fold, or there is writing of some kind, or maybe even if it has been restapled. Again I don't collect these much at all, and certainly not with an eye toward high condition, but I do not understand why people should not be able to have that option.

Moreover, I disagree that grading here is "simply an absurd concept". Baseball cards are as much "historical artifacts" as programs, and grading is widely accepted in that medium.

I do understand the practical difficulties in buying a graded item whose interior cannot be inspected without destroying the slab, as one is taking it on faith that the interior was properly examined and evaluated. Perhaps there is a way with dealing with such condition that provides an acceptable level of comfort to buyers. Still and again, the concept of graded programs is not offensive to me.