View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Define never be detectable. By any means whatsoever? Then I will fight the question, because there is very little if anything that couldn't be detected with sophisticated enough equipment. I would prefer that the qualification be assume the card nonetheless gets slabbed by ordinary review, or something like that.
++This. Where there is a will....

Cardstock is made from pulp, which comes from trees. If, for example, you examined two 1939 Dimaggio cards, one altered and one unaltered, under intense magnification, I can only assume that the DNA of the chemically altered card would leave some sort of fingerprint. You wouldn't even have to take the cards out of the slab.

The day of reckoning is coming for slabbed altered cards. When a credible Forth Party Grader comes along to "out" these slabed altered cards, the game is over. The real question is will anyone care.

I think the poll question should be this: If there were a foresnic cardstock lab that could determine if your slabbed vintage card was altered, would you pay to have it re-certified?