View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Default 1887 N172 Old Judge Error? (Plus a PSA screwup)

Posted By: T E

This is the answer I got back from PSA customer service rep, who forwarded it to me.

Ok, his card will now show the card in the system as 1887 Old Judge Dan Stearns (Sterns-Kansas City). The pop will show that we have graded two cards. The catalog only lists him as Dan Stearns with Des Moines and Kansas City as variations. We have to assume that the Kansas City card has the miss spelled name. Let him know that they update the pop once a week on Mondays. So the change will not show up on the pop till then. If he puts in his cert # he will see the proper labeling. He can send the card in as a mechanical for the label to be corrected. Hope he is ok with this.

My comments: I went out with Miss Spelled when I was a kid. She was a very hot date. (Rim shot!) But seriously, folks. They are assuming that the KC card has misspelled name. It would be nice if they didn't have to assume, if in fact they kept detailed records of rare cards (any card from 1887 qualifies, in my mind, as rare) whenever they are graded. They should do it for themselves and for the hobby that they serve.

In sum, I have no idea if this card is a one-of-one or a one-of-two. And while I understand that spelling errors are common with this quirky issue, such information can influence price.