View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Default New Hobby Find: 1863 Jordan & Co. CdV of Crossley

Posted By: martha

It is very interesting reading everyone's comments....imagine listing something on eBay and immediately getting numerous "Buy it now offers" for several thousands of dollars." Doing immediate research enabled me to know of the series of cards - I was just not sure of the name of the player that I had. Barry wrote to me after the stopping of the auction and assured me it was Crossley. To be quite honest I was never nervous - just wanted to make sure I had all the facts about the card. I had in fact talked with another auction house about having them handle the card (Barry knew nothing about that). Another ebayer was trying to get me to the best situation. I will give Barry much credit for being so exact in his communications - he has been great.
Now the facts about the card. It is actually owned by my future son-in-law. He was putting some CDV's on eBay in order to come up with a downpayment on a vehicle for my daughter. He was using my eBay account. After all the buy-it-now offers starting coming in we knew something was up with the card. He purchased the card from someone in Texas outside of Dallas. In the batch of photos (from an album) was this CDV. Most of the photos were taken in New York and the album was of the Ray family. The most ironic thing I think is that there were 98 photos and he purchased them for $50 making each one with a cost basis of 50 cents - the original cost of the CDV in 1863. Barry has now had the CDV authenticated - we didn't have much doubt about that - and we will be looking forward to the auction.
As to the discussion about Abner Doubleday - I also have the exact CDV that someone pictured in this forum except for the fact it has been trimmed at the bottom and the photo is a much clearer image without spots. The one imaged by my research was sold by Robert Edwards Auction for over $400. So if anyone is interested...lol.
If you have any other questions or comments I would love to hear them.
Again - my hats off to you, Barry - you have been great.