View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 PM

Several key ones. Among them:

1. Don't ever be afraid to over-pay, and perhaps even set a record for a buying price, if the piece you are contemplating is first, in ultra-high grade for the issue, and second, if it rarely comes up in that grade, and third and foremost, if the card is one you've wanted for a long time and love dearly, and have to tear yourself away from looking at it. This occurred with me each time I bought a Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle.

2. Be double-dog sure before you sell, or get rid of, a choice card in your collection. You might be ready to let it go, but YOU BETTER KNOW YOURSELF. I got rid of a nice 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson in the late 80s. Nice buyer, a Canadian, who told me he'd take it with him to the grave. That was nice. It wasn't long before I began to regret selling it. The card was a solid EXCELLENT -TO- MINT, and nicely centered. I really like how Jack looks, and I love the promotion. Overall, those beauties are rare today. They've appreciated handsomely, but are probably still quite underrated. It was only when I produced my fantasy 1954 Wilson Franks Jackie Robinson did my pain vanish.

3. Treat as many people as possible with kindness and dignity. You never know who you're actually dealing with. I've hauled off and slugged some collectors verbally who were being belligerent with me, true. But life is hard as it is, and I try to show a glad hand, and congratulate other collectors when they're full of joy over a new acquisition. Then again, there's all too many thoughtless, udder assholes in this hobby, full of pure selfishness---- braggadocios of the third degree, and it's kinda hard sometimes. So, I say all that to say, it's good to hold thy tongue, lest one stick their smelly foot in their mouth, and regret it! 'Course, I keep my feet nicely scrubbed!

Though I admit I am out of the ball game as far as buying vintage material, and have been for some time, the basic drive and collector strategies and intermingling have not changed one whit.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only hope for peace was born in the Middle East. His name is Jesus Christ, the Kind of Kings, and the Lord of Lords! The promised Messiah---to the Jews first and the Gentiles second.

---- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-26-2018 at 01:15 PM.