View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Default Would Have, Could Have, Should Have. (What If?)

Posted By: jay behrens

Mine wasn't so much a deal that I passed up, but a life choice decission. I was offered an EX+ set of t206s in 1985 for $5k. My choice was to buy that, or buy a car so I could have something that resembled a social life since I didn't own on at the time. Opted for the car. I don't regrest buying the car, but sometimes I wonder, what if...

The one that got away, per se, was an incredible colelction of late 40s and early 50s Topps and Bowman cards that I was never able to aquire. After graduating from HS, one of my jr high math teachers showed me his childhood collection. The boxes were filled with baseball and football cards from 1949-54. The Bowmans were in typical condition, being about EX with no cards with creases. No Mantle or MAys rookies either. His Topps cards were a thing of beauty. When I grabbed the front of the stack, I started looking at all the cards and noticed that they were in numerical order, but that the Pafko was missing. I found the Pafke in the next stack, and to this day, it's the best one I've seen. Finding the PAfko meant that he had all the 52s except the high numbers. The 53s were in the middle of the brick of cards and were the best group of 53s I've ever seen. He had almost a complete set less a few commons. The 54s were also stunning, but there were only about 100 cards in this group with Williams #1 card being the best card in the group.

He also had several hundered Topps football cards from 1950 with the little pennents on the back and about the size of a postage stamp (I forget the set name) along with all the wrappers.

We weren't able to come to a deal that day, but he game me one of the wrappers. Sadly, he died of a heart attack shortly afterwards and I was never able to complete deal for the cards.

I did put the wrapper up for auction in 1990 and it sold for $238.00. I was totally floored by price and was told that the wrappers are quite rare and this one still in tact with no rips or tears.

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Wierd, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.