Thread: ESPN Top 100
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 02:43 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
If you would like to read my response, you can see what I already posted on the subject 5 years ago on this thread in posts 30-37.
Thanks Glenn. That was an informative, logically thought out, and well explained back and forth between you and some others. And you seem to go along with what I've been trying to say. Looking at the number of black versus white HOFers is another measure to potentially help determine how many Negro League players really were deserving off MLB status recognition.

In an attempt by MLB to make amends to Negro League players and elevate them to MLB status, they obviously couldn't just cherry pick the star players like Gibson and Charleston, and only grant such status to some. MLB would never have lived that down given the way things are today. But in doing so, they obviously have created way more MLB players during that 29 year period than would have been recognized otherwise, and that just means the overall MLB talent level was diluted down. And because the leagues were unfortunately segregated, the much larger number of Negro League players making the major league ranks back then makes it look like more of them would not have been of true MLB caliber as opposed to their white counterparts, thus making the Negro Leagues way more watered down.

I'm just trying to explain in looking at players on this All-Time Greatest list how the stats for some of them may need to be viewed with a big grain of salt. Instead, I feel I'm sort of being accused of saying none of these Negro League players belong in the majors at all. That is the furthest thing from the truth.