View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Having never seen either play and not going strictly by stats I would choose DiMaggio for his championship pedigree, respected as a teammate, beloved by the fans and the media. Ted was from all reports, surly, unapproachable and a general douche to everyone. I really think the off field stuff should be taken into account, not just record book stuff.
Just my opinion, take it or leave it.
I think you have this backwards. The Dago was a sonofabitch to everyone who didn't kiss his royal arse. If that team wasn't stacked, they would have thrown him overboard. Would you want to share a clubhouse with a guy who wouldn't sign a baseball for your kid?? There are players who talked to someone DiMag didn't like, so he gave them the silent treatment for the rest of their life!
TSW was loud, obnoxious, and decidedly anti-establishment, but I don't recall hearing his teammates say they wouldn't want him on the team. Sure, Joe's teammates wouldn't say that, either, but that's because they enjoyed those WS checks.

While we're on the topic, can someone explain to me how "DiMaggio never had to dive for a ball" is a positive thing. Sure, I understand positioning and speed, but I'm supposed to believe that a ball never dropped just out of his reach? Think of all those fantastic diving plays Jim Edmonds used to make; are you telling me Joe would've gotten those without diving just because of his "positioning"??

TSW, for the sheer offense he provided, plus he might actually make you laugh in the dugout.

Ken